So Little Time; So Much To Do

A Middle School Principal Blogs

January 31, 2008

Is this the answer to my problem?

Filed under: Uncategorized @ 2:01 pm

Do you have the same problem? “Too much to do and not enough time”?
My wonderful Media Specialist has assured me that blogging is a way to help me resolve some of the issues with the collective knowledge of colleagues.
If you have a blog, how have you used it to make your job easier?

22 Comments

1.   Carolyn Foote — January 31, 2008 @ 6:48 pm    

I think a blog can be a way to communicate with parents, staff, and students easily and to make the mission of the school clear.

It’s a way to share new ideas, or ask for help with something you want to learn more about.

It’s a way to find other principals and colleagues who may have solutions to challenges that we all share.

But most of all, it can be whatever you or your campus need it to be. Welcome to blogging!

2.   Art Gelwicks — January 31, 2008 @ 6:55 pm    

Well, your wonderful Media Specialist is correct (and I say that honestly since I had the pleasure of meeting her in Philadelphia at EduCon 2.0.) Blogging is an excellent way to frame up your thinking on a topic, open up your ideas for review and discussion, and become a more involved part of the greater educational community. For quite a while it will be a very personal thing, wondering if anyone but you is reading your writing, but take solace in the fact just the act of blogging will liberate you in many ways. Welcome to the blogosphere and I know at least one person who will be following you. :)

3.   diane — January 31, 2008 @ 7:10 pm    

Welcome!

Yes, you do have a wonderful Media Specialist who I’ve come to regard as a friend and colleague through our online interaction.

My blog frequently serves as a sounding board for my ideas. I reflect, refine, and edit unformed or half-finished thoughts. Comments from readers might add to what I’ve written, challenge my assertions, or send me off on another track altogether!

It may not have made my job easier, but it’s made my thinking deeper and more valuable to my learners.

Enjoy the experience!

diane

4.   Pam Elgin — January 31, 2008 @ 7:49 pm    

Congratulations on your new blog! I’m a tech resource teacher, and I use my blog to communicate information to the teachers in my schools that they may need to access later on. That way, when I get repeated questions about issues, I can direct the teachers to the appropriate post on the blog, or they can search for the topic themselves. My blog posts include instructions that are specific to our schools as well as introductions to new web sites and software that teachers may find useful.

Once you become accustomed to adding information to your blog, you will wonder how you managed without it! Keep it up! :)

5.   mmiller7571 — January 31, 2008 @ 7:52 pm    

Welcome to the blogging world! I am an elementary principal in Missouri. Here are my 3 blogs. I know that sounds like a lot but I don’t post all the time. You might be interested in my staff blog that is more like a newsletter. My teachers used to comment but they have gotten so used to me that I don’t think they feel like they need to.
    http://principalmiller.edublogs.org/ – my parent blog
    http://mmiller7571.edublogs.org/ – my staff blog
    http://weprincipal.blogspot.com/ – my professional reflective blog

I hope these give you some ideas and you like using this tool.

6.   Kate Olson — January 31, 2008 @ 8:42 pm    

Well, as a business education teacher, I can’t say it necessarily makes my job easier, but it has helped immensely with reflection and networking. The act of writing really helps me work through ideas and issues. Welcome to the blogosphere – I heard about your blog from Cathy Nelson :-)

7.   technotuesday — January 31, 2008 @ 8:51 pm    

Surprise! I shared your blog with a few friends! I also blogged about it over on TechnoTuesday, which is also strategically placed in your blogroll, along with a link to MrGranito’s blog. (Located on the right side.) Now we have to set you up a reader to “manage” your subscriptions, and I have some great recommendations. I’ll come over to get you started tomorrow or when you have time.

8.   Kitty Forbus — January 31, 2008 @ 8:57 pm    

I use my school blog to keep readers informed of the happenings in my elementary school media center. By posting important information there, it keeps me from having to make paper copies to send home with students. No more counting, sorting, passing out, etc. Plus, it’s a way to conserve paper.

9.   Lisa Parisi — January 31, 2008 @ 9:11 pm    

I can’t promise blogging will make your life easier but it will help clarify issues. I find reading other blogs give me better insight into ideas and situations. And I blog myself when I need to vent, ask questions, or get other opinions. Sometimes it’s just cathartic. Enjoy!

10.   Jeff Whipple — January 31, 2008 @ 9:17 pm    

Hi…

Welcome to the blogosphere…Cathy is right, your blog is a beginning to a whole new connectedness…where the only limits to who can help you with answers to your questions and conversations for your understandings is who is awake at the time…and even that doesn’t much matter!

You will find that, to start, your blog might seem purely self-reflective. Then, you get a comment. Then two. Conversations start, learning begins. You are curious, and put a clustrmap on your blog. Suddenly, you see dots from all over the globe. You realize your connections are beyond the walls of your school, or even you colleagues in neighboring schools. You are part of a GLOBAL learning network, one you nurture, control and mold to suit your learning needs.

And it’s all started right here. I speak from experience.

Welcome to the blogosphere.

Jeff
    http://edutrails.edublogs.org

11.   Pamela Carr — January 31, 2008 @ 9:17 pm    

I teach computer science and use a blog with my students to create a sense of community for all of my students (from different classes), to save paper, and to give students practice using social networking tools for education (instead of only using these tools for socializing with friends).

My next project will be to set up a staff development blog for the teachers at my school. Each quarter I create a Technology Newsletter that I email out to the staff. Instead of (or in addition to…I haven’t decided yet) doing this I want to do weekly blog entries on technology topics for teachers in hopes that teachers will share thoughts and ideas with each other via the blog. I think that it will take me less time to create the blog posts and the return should be much better than the newsletter (I hope).

12.   MaryAnn Sansonetti — January 31, 2008 @ 9:19 pm    

I am not sure saying “my blog has made my life easier” is way I would say. I would say that it has opened my eyes to what the educational world has. It also helps me get thoughts and ideas out of my head for anyone who wants to read them. In return those who do read share their thoughts and ideas with me. I no longer look at educational technology issues going on just in my district or state… now I look at trends around the world. And that is what makes me better at what I do to help teachers take the next step in technology integration.

13.   Mrs. I — January 31, 2008 @ 9:27 pm    

You do have a wonderful media specialist! I should know, I interned under her when she was still in Aiken County. Good Luck with your Blog, I’ve been encouraging my principal to start one, so of course, I’m going to send her a link to yours. =)

14.   Louise Maine — January 31, 2008 @ 10:06 pm    

The collective genius out there makes everything easier. Having a blog to write it all down and hash it all out is worthwhile. Looks like you are in great hands!

15.   Jeanette — January 31, 2008 @ 11:21 pm    

As a fellow principal, I know well how awful the time crunch can be… and at first, your blogging may well seem like one more thing you don’t have time to do, without that payoff you’re looking for. I encourage you to stick with it, though – and to become part of the network of bloggers by reading and commenting on others’ blogs. What that’s done for me is
    * establish community of principals, teachers, media specialists, and others, who always respond when I need it, whether with practical suggestions, emotional boosts, or creative ideas
    * target my energies (emotional, physical, and otherwise) more on issues of instructional leadership, as I’ve found blogging about such issues far more compelling than matters of budget, buses, or other such items
    * build an energy level and excitement among staff… when you blog, and your staff sees it, not only will you be leading by example, but their excitement over that will spill into the culture of your school and their activities in the classroom… that may not sound like a time saver, but nothing makes a principal’s job easier than to have a motivated, energized, and innovative staff!

Looking forward to hearing more from you…

16.   Jenorr — February 1, 2008 @ 6:26 am    

Too much to do and not enough time is certainly a problem for the majority of us in education (I teach 5th grade). I blog in several places and it’s done a lot for me. I’m not sure it has made my job easier, though. It’s made me a better teacher by stretching my thinking, it’s helped me reflect on what I’m doing as an educator, and I’ve made a lot of wonderful professional connections. I wouldn’t give it up because it’s a bit part of me as a teacher now.

17.   Cathy Nelson — February 1, 2008 @ 11:34 am    

Just checking to see if Mrs. Clark gets the moderated comment email instead of me.

18.   mrgranito — February 1, 2008 @ 12:01 pm    

Mrs. Clark,
    Welcome. Get ready for Cathy to chew your ear off about the magical world of Web 2.0. Cathy got me hooked, now my fiancee complains about not having enough “us” time. So she went out and started her own blog too!! But seriously, my kids enjoy the blog and some have been inspired to start their own.
    Mark

19.   Steven — February 11, 2008 @ 2:21 pm    

It is great to see more and more principals setting up blogs. I love the title of this blog. There is too much to do and too little time to do it. I am waiting for a time when we can take something off of our plates/

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI